ADSM-L

Re: Tape I/O error

1999-03-16 15:12:07
Subject: Re: Tape I/O error
From: James SPORER <james.sporer AT CCMAIL.ADP.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:12:07 -0600
     An audit of the tape library will print out a list of tapes that are
     in private status and not used by adsm.

Author:  "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>  at IPNET
Date:    3/16/99 11:25 AM

I am sorry I meant status.
This can be a problem because I had about 10 tapes this way and I had to
find them manually.

>>> "Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM> 03/16 11:08 AM >>>
Volume 0371D8 must have been a scratch tape.  The access mode, which includes
values like "READWRITE", "READONLY", and "UNAVAILABLE", only applies to
private
volumes.  The only way that ADSM can take a volume out of the scratch pool is
to set its status to private.

If the volume were already private when the error occurred, then ADSM would
have been able to set its access to unavailable.

Rich

At 10:52 AM 3/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I haqd this happen to me also. I called it the phantom tapes. Because ADSM
is changing the acc it can only be private or scratch.

>Hi ADSM-ers!
>Today I encountered I/O errors on a tape. ADSM reported this like this:
>
>ANR8355E I/O error reading label for volume 0371D8 in drive RMT1
>(/dev/rmt1).
>ANR8778W Scratch volume 0371D8 changed to Private Status to prevent
>re-access.
>
>Changed to Private???? Shouldn't ADSM mark the tape read-only???
>How else can I see that there is something wrong with this tape? The only
>way to find this out is to compare the Q VOLUME list with the Q LIBVOL list
>and manually track the differences.
>Is this behavior correct?
>Kindest regards,
>Eric van Loon

Richard C. Dempsey                 email: dempsey AT kodak DOT com
Public Online Services             pager: 716-975-3539
11th Floor, Bldg 83, RL            phone: 716-477-3457
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-2203