ADSM-L

Re: Incompatibility between ADSM and AFS or DFS filesystems

1999-03-16 12:57:55
Subject: Re: Incompatibility between ADSM and AFS or DFS filesystems
From: Helmut Richter <Helmut.Richter AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:57:55 +0100
We have also been "burned" by this problem.  We opened an incident with IBM
last fall.  They originally gave us a fixtest which made it "work", but the
cure was perhaps worse than the disease.

The real problem is that IBM ADSM devlopment adamantly continue to insist
that AFS (and DFS) are "not supported by ADSM".  Perhaps by accident,
virtual mount points worked anyway under version2.  Now in version 3, they
do not, hence the problem Helmut refers to.  WE NEED A CLEAR STATEMENT OF
WHAT IBM MEANS WHEN THEY SAY "ADSM DOES NOT SUPPORT AFS FILE SYSTEMS."  If
that means today that it will not recognize virtual mount points, might it
not mean tomorrow that it will not even read the files?  We CANNOT get IBM
to make a clear statement on this.  In spite of the fact that IBM OWN
TRANSARC!

We consider this problem to be sufficiently important to impel us to study
the possibility of replacing ADSM by another backup/archive system.

IBM, ARE YOU LISTENING? Yes, I am yelling.

John O'Neall
Centre de Calcul de l'IN2P3
Villeurbanne, France