ADSM-L

Re: restore times

1999-03-16 11:54:10
Subject: Re: restore times
From: John Haight <JOHA AT DYNEGY DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:54:10 -0600
Tom Fluker,

I have seen similiar issues.

Do you have colocation on or off?

Just wondering, thanks...

...jah

John A. Haight
Consultant
Sprint Paranet

Assignment: Dynegy

"Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM> on 03/16/99 10:19:37 AM

To:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc:    (bcc: John Haight/Contractor/NGCCorp)

Are you reclaiming tapes?  When ADSM reclaims tapes, it tries to put
files from the same nodes together.  Frequent reclamations will tend
to consolidate files on a small number of tapes.

If you can't consolidate, say because you only have one tape drive
in your library, then our local ADSM guru recommends taking occasional
full backups.  You would do this not with a selective backup, but with
an ABSOLUTE mode INCREMENTAL.  This is an attribute of the backup copy
group, so you would use something like

UPDATE COPYGROUP domainname setname classname STANDARD TYPE=BACKUP
MODE=ABSOLUTE

After the backup is done, reset the mode to MODIFIED:

UPDATE COPYGROUP domainname setname classname STANDARD TYPE=BACKUP
MODE=MODIFIED

Rich

At 10:33 AM 3/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>It appears to me that one of the problems with restores taking so long is
>that the incremental nature of ADSM will, over time, spread the required
>files over many volumes in a tape storage pool.  Requiring mounts, and
>searches, of multiple tapes requires a lot of time.
>
>Has anybody tried, say once a month, performing selective backups for entire
>file systems in an effort to aggregate all the files required for a restore
>in reasonable proximity to each other?   Incremental backups would then get
>scattered but it may limit the number of tapes that would be required.
>Would this help the restore time problem?
>
>I'm considering such an idea and was wondering if anybody has had any
>similar experiences that may help.
>
>Tom Fluker
>Tom.Fluker AT viasystems DOT com

Richard C. Dempsey                 email: dempsey AT kodak DOT com
Public Online Services             pager: 716-975-3539
11th Floor, Bldg 83, RL            phone: 716-477-3457
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-2203