ADSM-L

Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: ADSM and big file-servers

1999-03-16 05:14:25
Subject: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: ADSM and big file-servers
From: Stephan Rittmann <srittmann AT FIDUCIA DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:14:25 +0100
Tom,

thanks for your input. I agree with you if our banks have the requirement
to be online again after 1 day they will need a faster network,
or a other backup solution.
And here is, in my opinion, the point where IBM has to chenge something. If
ADSM
won't be able to provide a easy seconf king of recover technique we really have
to change.
I really like ADSM and his concept, but here is a leak. Most of our banks use
ADSM to protect
the client workstaions AND 1 to 5 servers. If the gap between disk size and
network-speed
becomes bigger, we will have to find other backup solution with direct
connection to the servers.

Stephan

Stephan,

You've gotten several good suggestions about how you might
approach this, but I'd like to offer a comment on something you
mentioned in the message below, namely, that "[f]or [the banks']
size, the ring speed is enough."  Although this may be the case
for their day-to-day operations, if the banks have identified a
requirement that restore times be less than 20 hours, either the
network speed is *not* if they are wanting to use a network
backup solution, or a completely different backup solution is
necessary.

Not having any experience with Token Ring, I'll take your word
for it that it would take 20 hours, but based on my math, even if
you only got an effective bandwidth of 8Mb/s, you could still
push that amount of data in about five hours.

I think many others on this list would concur with me when I say
that 18GB is a decidedly small file server in this day and age.
We have workstations in our environment with that amount of disk
space, and our file servers run to TBs.

 -- Tom

Hi Eric,