ADSM-L

Re: your mail

1999-03-12 16:30:48
Subject: Re: your mail
From: Tom Bell <tom.bell AT WAII DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:30:48 -0600
We've generally seen VCR errors when something happened to the system
while a tape was being written, such as a system crash or drive failure.
Since the tape was not closed properly, the VCR data was not updated.
On the next open, the drive generates an error with FSC=3A2A (bytes
16-17 of the Request Sense data).  About the only way I know of to
prevent ADSM from trying to recover the volume is to cycle through the
volumes outside of ADSM.  However, for a large 3590 storage pool, this
could be prohibitive (it would effectively tie up 1 3590 drive for a
full day just to mount and dismount our volumes).  We don't see enough
VCR errors to take any special action, other than monitoring ANR8776W
messages via a script.

You might look at the help message for ANR8776W as if offers suggestions
on recovering tapes with VCR problems.

--
Tom Bell                                    tom.bell AT westgeo DOT com
Tom Bell                                    tom.bell AT westgeo DOT com