ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:46:03
---------------------- Forwarded by Virginia L Hysock/HI/CSC on 03/11/99
12:50 PM ---------------------------

 (Embedded     Virginia L Hysock/HI/CSC
 image moved   03/11/99 10:43 AM
 to file:      (Embedded image moved to file: PIC29992.PCX)
 PIC00619.PCX)

To:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc:
Subject:  Tape Media Questions

Hi all,
     Okay - I know this is an ADSM list, but I've gotten so much good info
from you people that I thought I'd take a shot at this.  I'm sure most of
you probably have a hand in managing tape media as well.

     Does anyone out there have 'best practices' metrics for tape media
that you would be willing to share?  I'm looking for standards on
shelf-life (how often you refresh tapes in your library), as well as number
of perm and/or temp errors experienced to indicate replacement.

     Also - if anyone has ever had to implement a large-scale process for
replacement of tapes in your library - how did you accomplish it?  I'm open
to ideas as to how to do this expeditiously while minimizing risk, even if
the ideas are far-out.

                    TIA,

                    Ginny