ADSM-L

Is Incremental the only way?

1999-03-11 10:01:14
Subject: Is Incremental the only way?
From: Katie O'Connor <katie_oconnor AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 07:01:14 PST
Hi People,

I've been told that to expire data it is necessary to incrementally
backup filesystems. This process opens a two way communication between
the client and the server, recognising any deleted files and expiring
them.

If I selectively backup the system this does not have a 2 way
communication and therefore does not recognise nor expire deleted files.

Is this true because it seems slightly odd that if I selectively backup
my system (which is surely the ideal situation to be in!) my adsm d/b
will grow and grow because deleted files are not being expired by ADSM.

I hope that makes sense.

tech spec:
AIX 4.1.5
ADSM Server 2.1.5.18