ADSM-L

Re: Follow the moving drive letter

1999-03-10 11:23:33
Subject: Re: Follow the moving drive letter
From: Bob Brazner <Bob.Brazner AT JCI DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:23:33 -0600
Thanks Trevor, but the problem goes a little deeper than simply renaming
the filespace in ADSM.  The situation is the customer can insert and
remove the removable harddrive from Windows 95 at will.  The customer's
ADSM backup fires off according to a schedule.  Consider day 1 where the
machine has drives c and d and gets backed up by ADSM as such.  Then on
day 2, the customer inserts the removable drive (which becomes d and the
old d becomes e).  When the backup kicks in, three things will happen:
1) ADSM will see the d drive and will back up all the files; 2) It will
delete the backup versions of yesterday's d files since they will
"appear" to be deleted on today's d drive; and 3) It will backup the
full e drive (which wastes a lot of time and network bandwidth because
nothing has really changed on this drive).  Then on day 3, the customer
removes the removable hard drive.  I guess by now you can see what's
going to happen.  It's not pretty.  Renaming the filespaces in ADSM
after the fact is not the solution, because the damage has already been
done.  Besides, this is going on daily and I'm not in a position to
babysit each and every backup from this customer.  So my question is,
what steps can I take to guarantee my customer's backups considering I'm
not in control of when his backup runs and when he inserts and removes
the removable harddrive?  Is there a Windows 95 thing I can do to
prevent the drive letters from dynamically readjusting themselves?  Is
there a way in ADSM I can use the drive label instead of the drive
letter (as was in v3.1.02)?