ADSM-L

Mount policy during restore

1999-03-09 10:04:23
Subject: Mount policy during restore
From: "Grendelman M. (Martijn)" <Martijn.Grendelman AT NL.FORTIS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 16:04:23 +0100
Hi,

When I look at the storage pool volumes in our library and sort for number
of mount, I notice the following:

Volume Storage Pool Number of Mounts
------------------------------------
0103E1 TAPE_NT      1160
0103E1 TAPE_NT      1160
00E978 TAPE_NOV     92
009D7D TAPE_NOV     73
00F92E TAPE_NOV     72
01009C TAPE_NT      64
00F8CA TAPE_NOV     59
00D53A TAPE_EXCH    59
00F6ED TAPE_NOV     54
00F820 TAPE_NT      54
00F711 TAPE_NOV     53
00FBB7 TAPE_NT      51

There is one tape that has been mounted much more often that the others. The
tape appears to contain data from a server that has been completely restored
twice. Collocation is turned off, so somehow I understand that the tape is
mounted more often, but then again... 1160 times!

When a restore action is in progress, how does ADSM handle the tapes?
Doesn't it restore all the data from a particular tape it can find before
mounting the next one? It seems to me that it just works its way through the
database and mounts tapes accordingly, even if that means mounting the same
tape over and over...

Martijn.