ADSM-L

Re: STK9710, ACSLS & ADSM/NT Server V3.1.2.13

1999-03-07 18:05:01
Subject: Re: STK9710, ACSLS & ADSM/NT Server V3.1.2.13
From: Carl Makin <carl AT XENA.AIPO.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 10:05:01 +1100
On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Louie James wrote:

> The last I heard, ACSLS runs only on UNIX platforms.  We had similar
> thoughts, but backed off when we found out that we needed to get a UNIX box
> involved.

ACSLS is a turnkey system.  STK brings in a Sparc 5 or similar, plonks it
down and you hardly have to touch it.  You don't need any unix experience
to run the thing and if you talk nicely to your STK rep they will help you
set it up.

I ran a Wolfcreek with REELBackup with ACSLS for a couple of years and
never had to touch the OS parts of it.

In fact, running ACSLS gives you better control over the library than
plain ADSM.

Don't be afraid of Unix.  If you're up to managing ADSM then a little Unix
management shouldn't scare you.

Carl.