ADSM-L

Verifying 3590 tapes on AIX

2015-10-04 17:46:03
Subject: Verifying 3590 tapes on AIX
From: Glen Walker [mailto:Glen.Walker AT TELUS DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
We have experienced a significant number of errors over the last few months
on our 3590 tapes in a 3494 tape library. IBM believe that they have solved
the problems that created the errors, but we are faced with the uncertainty
of how many of the tapes in the library might have faults that will only
show up later. What we want to do is verify all on-site and off-site tapes
and try to use move data to reclaim from any damaged tapes we find.

My question. Can I use dd to read the tapes simply check for read errors.
Because ADSM uses variable block sizes I'm not sure what to use in that
respect. Has anyone had any experience trying to verify the 3590 media? I'm
open to any suggestions.
Thanks

Glen Walker
Glen Walker