ADSM-L

Active object not found / Havoc in ADSM DB ???

1999-03-03 10:30:55
Subject: Active object not found / Havoc in ADSM DB ???
From: Alfred Novacek <Novacek AT POP.IDV.UNI-LINZ.AC DOT AT>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:30:55 +0100
Hello ADSMers!

During the incremental last night that I perform regularly at the end of my
work (client: Mac 3.1.0.6; server: MVS 3.1.2.1), I received this error (it
did not occure before; I did not change the client configuration). I could
not determine which object failed (as the client did not allow me to resize
the name column), but I examined the directory indicated for objects that I
changed recently, and I found a subdirectory that apparently contained (in
the list of active objects) only a tiny subset of the files that it should
(the real subdirectory contained 12 files while ADSM offered me only 2 for
restore).

In an effort to investigate and fix this, I tried to repeat the backups;
however, Incrementals did not fix it (and still came up with the message).
After a selective backup of the specified directory, finally all files were
shown, but now the subdirectory (and when opened, its contents) were shown
twice (the only difference was the case of one letter in the subdirectory
name). And, trying an incremental, the "Active object not found" message
still occured.

Finally, I renamed the file space and recreated it using an incremental
backup; this eliminated the "Active object not found" error during
incremental backups, and all files I examined seem to be backed up ok now.

Considering the recent thread on the same message (regarding NT clients),
this raises questions. ADSM obviously fails to reliably maintain an image
of the actual volumes under certain circumstances. Can I rely that messages
like "Active object not found" during incrementals always act as indicators
that something went wrong (so I can recreate the filespace before actual
data loss occures), or must I fear that similar corruptions of the ADSM
database may go unnoticed (perhaps for a long time)?

Any other experiences around here?

Sincerely Yours - Alfred Novacek

Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Institute for Data Processing in Business Administrations,
     Economics and Social Sciences
Johannes Kepler University Linz / Austria
E-Mail: Novacek AT idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
        Novacek AT pop.idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
WWW: http://www.idv.uni-linz.ac.at