ADSM-L

Re: Why is MagStar so good -- it just is

1999-03-02 10:18:58
Subject: Re: Why is MagStar so good -- it just is
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 10:18:58 -0500
My two cents:

Most of the comments on this thread have had to do with the operation of the
3590's for on-site tapes.  And having very reliable devices for day-to-day
operations is important, and frequently is the difference between the ADSM
admin having a good day and having a bad day!

However, my position is that if you are sending tapes off-site for disaster
recovery purposes, there is only ONE ISSUE that counts - how much faith do
you have in the readability of that tape?

Far too many sites worry about their backups, and don't worry sufficiently
about recovery.  Most media works great if you never have to read it back!

For our systems that back up to 3490 technology (which is older than 3590,
but as reliable), we have one copy pool.  For our systems that back up to
DLT technology, we have found it necessary to make 2 copy pools.

Think twice about what you put in your vault!

(My opinions, based on my experience, only.)
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert