ADSM-L

Re: Unwanted admins in 3.1.2.15 ?

1999-03-02 10:04:55
Subject: Re: Unwanted admins in 3.1.2.15 ?
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 09:04:55 -0600
At 07:41 AM 3/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>ANR2099I Administrative userid MY_NODE defined for OWNER access to node
>>MY_NODE.
>>
>>Huh??? Where did that administrative userid come from?
>
>This came up on the List in January (12th - see archives).  Bill Colwell
provided:

>"Yes, I've seen it.  It is a new feature in server level 3.1.2.1, part of the
>support for the web B/A client, which is an administrator client.  The new
>admin id lets the client owner be a limited power admin to run the web B/A
>client  for his own machine."
>

>    Richard Sims, BU

As the source of the original query in January, let me add that if you use
the WebAdmin, there is a prompt for "URL", which defaults to the NodeName
and so creates a new Admin.  There is no such prompt on the GuiAdmin, so
the new Admin just appears.  On the Command Line, adding "URL=none" when
doing a "Reg Node" or "Upd Node" stops the creation of a new admin.  Since
all of my Domain Admins use the Gui, I have to do a periodic search and
destroy on unwanted Admins.

Fred Johanson
System Administrator, ADSM
S.E.A.