ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Server on MVS

1999-03-02 10:02:22
Subject: Re: ADSM Server on MVS
From: Roger Hohmann <Roger_Hohmann AT WESTLB DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 16:02:22 +0100
As far as I know, the maximum throughput for ADSM on MVS can be
estimated to 4 MB/sec (which means 14 GB/Hr) with uncompressed data due
to limitations in TCPIP. To break this bareer you have to use another
network connection, another tcpip stack and another adsm server address
space. In fact, we are reaching something between 2.5-3.5 MB/s. If
anyone has better performance with uncompressed data, please tell.

Maybe the new OS/390 2.7 performs better.

60 GB/hr means ~16 MB/sec which sounds unreachable with a single FDDI
Connection, maybe the newly announced Gigabit Ethernet OSA for S390 may
fit. You may think about a dedicated ADSM Server on this machine.

The improvement with client compression varies from nothing (compressed
tar's, zips) to a factor of 5 in our environment. Depending on the
data, we are calculating 1.5-2.5. But - there have been some problems
with compression (which are solved, as far as I know).

Regards
Roger