ADSM-L

Re: NT Client SKIPNTSECURITYCRC Option

1999-03-01 13:22:31
Subject: Re: NT Client SKIPNTSECURITYCRC Option
From: Joanne Nguyen <nguyenjt AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 11:22:31 -0700
>Anyone experimented with the SKIPNTSECURITYCRC Option when backing up NT
Servers
>with ADSM?  Sounds like there would be a performance gain but I'm not sure
if I
>understand Windows NT Security well enough to understand the downside of
using
>this client option.  Anyone with NT and ADSM expertise care to comment on
the
>pros and cons of using this option?

Jeff,

The security info are stored in a variable length buffer.  It is not part
of the
attributes structure that we use to compare to see whether anything has
been changed
to back it up again as part of incremental backup.  What is stored in the
attrib
structure is the security CRC which is the checksum value of the buffer.
If the
security info are backed up but not the CRC, ADSM won't be able to detect
changes
that were made to the security attributes.  We do store the size of the 4
security
structure (owner SID, group SID, DACL & SACL) but the size alone doesn't
tell if
it was changed.  So the downside of setting SKIPNTSECURITYCRC=Y is that
ADSM can
only detect if the actual size of any of the 4 security structures has been
changed.

I hope this answers your question.

Joanne Nguyen
ADSM Development