ADSM-L

Re: Mixing ADSM server platforms

1999-02-26 10:37:34
Subject: Re: Mixing ADSM server platforms
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:37:34 -0500
>So, if I understand you correctly, I can restore a database backup on the
>SAME platform type only.  To restore the database on a DIFFERENT platform
>type, I have to export it from the original(EXPORT SERVER).  Am I correct so
>far??
>
>Now, once that is done, can the new platform read the original data tapes??
>
>As I read the EXPORT SERVER, unless I do a FILEDATA=ACTIVE (or anything
>besides none), I don't get any filesystem info.  But I don't WANT to extract
>any DATA, since it's all on tapes already....  Stuck again.

I know what you mean - it seems like such a tremendous waste to have to export
and import all that data.  But ADSM provides no means for exporting the
database itself, per se, for repopulating another server: there is only
exportation by logical elements.  The key thought item here is that only
definitions and data are being transferred to the new server: the ADSM
software is not transferred...it is separately installed on the other
platform, and because it is a different platform you have all the inherent
differences of word-length, big-endian vs. little-endian, drivers, etc.  It's
kind of like wanting to unplug a hard drive from a Sun platform and simply use
it on an NT system; but things are different.  And even on the same platform,
you can't use the current database with an earlier level of the software.

The upshot is that ADSM on another platform is going to be internally
different to accommodate that environment, and so some translation has to
occur.  Having gone through the pain of a server move myself, I would also
like to see the data volumes be "adoptable" if at all possible, rather than
have to export and import them.  The client's data should be "portable", given
that ADSM allows a server to host data from multiple platforms anyway.  This
is one of those administration issues (like recovery speed) which just aren't
flashy in sales material, and so sadly don't receive attention from those
directing product development.

Your one alternative might be to see if you can implement ADSM
server-to-server to either use your data where it sits, from another server,
or allow more painless migration.
     Richard