ADSM-L

Re: Scratch volumes and manual devices

1999-02-25 14:02:39
Subject: Re: Scratch volumes and manual devices
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:02:39 -0500
You don't say what platform your server is on; for an NT system with 8mm
drives, I had no trouble at all using scratch volumes.

When ADSM needs a new output tape (say for migration), the mount message
just says MOUNT SCRATCH, instead of calling for a specific VOLSER.

Once you put in a scratch tape, ADSM records its VOLSER, and future requests
for that tape are by VOLSER, anyway.

Tapes must be pre-labelled, anyway, regardless of whether you use them as
scratch volumes or not.
I just see it as saving me the trouble of DEFINing the tapes to storage
pools.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert