ADSM-L

Re: Tapes Dissapearing

1999-02-24 16:20:36
Subject: Re: Tapes Dissapearing
From: Ben Kokenge <ben AT EDMS DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 15:20:36 -0600
I had this same trouble a while ago, so I made it my 'project' to find out
where these phantom tapes where going.  What i found was that my
db backups that i did once a day were sometimes slipping through the
cracks.  The reason for this was due to pruning the volhistory of
type=dbbackup.

What was happening was everyday i took a db backup and kept 7 versions
(a week), so my corresponding prune was:

delete volhistory type=dbbackup todate=today-7

Well, I would get somewhat lazy and not do my vault retrieve everyday like
a good boy and therefore after 7 days ADSM had not idea where that tape
was.  (at least it did not have important disaster data on it)

Two ways for me to fix:  (1) be very rigorous about retrieving tape from vault
or (2) be lazy and just extend my prune days to something like:

delete volhistory type=dbbackup todate=today-20

I chose the later...  :-)

cheers, Ben