ADSM-L

Re: Selective Backup Objects

1999-02-24 13:00:47
Subject: Re: Selective Backup Objects
From: Hilton Tina <HiltonT AT TCE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:00:47 -0500
Not true.  I thought it was that incrementals specified file systems, and
selective backups specified directories, but I guess I was wrong or it
changed with version 3.  I looked it up in the manual and did a test and
discovered that they both work on the file level.  The only thing you have
to worry about is with the selective backup and -su=y.  If the subdirectory
is a mounted file system, it will not backup that file system.  I have a
file system called /syslogs and both "dsmc s /syslogs/adsm/*" and "dsmc i
/syslogs/adsm/*" work.  Here's some excerpts from the Unix Backup/Archive
Client manual on incremental & selective backup:

Incremental backup -- Backs up all files and directories in the specified
file system or directory that meets certain criteria.

The selective command backs up specific files. Use wildcards to back up more
than one file at a time. If you back up a directory, you can use the
subdir=yes option to include all the subdirectories under that directory in
the backup. For example, to back up the /home/monnett/proj directory and its
subdirectories, enter:
      dsmc selective /home/monnett/proj/ -subdir=yes