ADSM-L

Re: Informing clients when their bac

1999-02-24 12:46:57
Subject: Re: Informing clients when their bac
From: "Robinson, Cris" <Cris.Robinson AT LIBERTYMUTUAL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 12:46:57 -0500
We are working to create an applet which will read the DSMSCHED.LOG for the
succcess of failure of a backup and notify them regularly similiar to
retrospect, which we once used also.

The problem we are running into is that the ADSM programmers wrote the
client so that output to this log file is sent only if the backup event is
scheduled.

If a user pushes a backup, (we have 8000 laptop users who do this), then no
log entry is created. You would think this wouldn't matter since the user is
pushing the backup and should know they have or have not backed up, (these
are mostly managers, 'nuff said). Problem is that they don't pay attention
and often times the backup was unsuccessful. Users, what can ya do?

So we have asked the programmers to help us out with this one and commit all
transactions to the log.
We also thought of the e-mail route but we have 25,000+ clients and only so
much network to abuse.

Such an easy thing to do, right?

Good luck!
Cris Robinson
Sr. Technical Analyst
Enterprise Storage Management / ADSM
Liberty Mutual Insurance
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
603.431.8400.54837
mailto:cris.robinson AT libertymutual DOT com

Dilbert words of Wisdom:
On the keyboard of life,
always keep one finger on the escape key!