ADSM-L

Re: Need a new server

1999-02-23 16:53:38
Subject: Re: Need a new server
From: Shane <shanesmith AT WESTPAC.COM DOT AU>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 07:53:38 +1000
Hi,

We use NT servers for our ADSM system. We need a bigger tape subsystem, but
the servers are adequate to the task. We found that a large uni-processor
box is just as good as a multi-processor box (for ADSM).

You got to spec out how much data you get each night, which should be pretty
easy by going through your existing system logs. Make sure you got enough
disk space to take an evening incremental backup from your clients.

We use 3570-B12  twin-drive Magstar MP tape units. They gave us a lot of lip
at first, but they have settled down somewhat with micro-code updates and by
being more conservative in the way we manage and load these systems.

We use the IBM Netfinity 7000 machine, but may use a 5500 machine for our
next NT ADSM server platform. Whatever.. get a system with fast disks (we
use SCSI-3 u/w), stack of memory (256M), and make sure its got a fast I/O
bus. That should get you pumping okay.

Most of our clients are NT (a few AIX and others) so it makes sense to use a
consistent platform (ie NT) for our ADSM servers. Besides, I think that you
get better performance, per dollar, on the Intel/NT platform than any others
at this moment in time.

Shane