ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:47:38
eric.lewis AT CCMAIL.ADP.WISC DOT EDU wrote [some snippage - sorry]:
>There is no such thing as a good 8mm tape solution for computer use.
I think Exabyte might disagree with you there! Seriously though, 8mm DAT
seems reasonably reliable, certainly in a different league to 4mm DAT, which
definitely doesn't appear reliable.

>Use linear tape DLT, 3590, etc) for digital data.
I would agree with this. After all, the price of DLT, and to a lesser extent,
3590 technology
is dropping all the time. We've moved from 8mm/4mm backups to 3590 and so far
haven't
had a single tape fail, (he says tempting fate), as opposed to the old system
where we got at least one fail per month,
(usually 4mm). It's amazing the comfort factor that having a nice fast robotic
library gives, when
an operating system upgrade goes seriously wrong!

>Nothing wrong with the RS/6000 hardware and the ADSM server runs
>better on AIX than on NT . . . if this listserver is any indication of
>problem frequency.  erl
It should really depend on what the clients are. If most of them are Wintel
systems, then migrating
to NT would make sense, (easier admin, etc). On the other hand if most of the
clients are Unix, then
surely moving to NT would not be a very good idea.

My own feeling is that ADSM on AIX is always going to be better than an other
OS, simply because
the ADSM team should be able to easily get to the operating system developers.
Technologically
I think AIX beats NT, but then again NT-based systems would be cheaper to put
into place.

Bob Cross.
--Boundary_(ID_cYAZtI46vGENkL/BY7pU2A)--