ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Server 3.1.2.0 under AIX 4.3.1.0 [ Hanging problems ]

1999-02-22 07:09:34
Subject: Re: ADSM Server 3.1.2.0 under AIX 4.3.1.0 [ Hanging problems ]
From: Alexander Verkooijen <alexander AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 13:09:34 +0100
On 19-Feb-99 Othonas Xixis wrote:

> I am having a problem with my ADSM Server hanging, once or twice a week, I am
> not receiving any errors or problems reporting in any of log files, nothing
> indicate what is wrong !!!!. When I am trying to login [ # dsmadmc ], the
> adsm
> login program starts, is asking for the Userid, it let me enter it and then
> RIP.
> Nothing in the actlog, no entries from the time it hung (last night 00:32)
> till
> the time I restarted (07:20) it again this morning.
> When I kill the [ dsmserv ]  process, and restart it, it always comes up
> fine.
> IBM, when I called support, they said that it might be the Shared Memory,
> well I
> turned off Shared Memory and now I am working with TCP/IP all the way, but
> the
> problem still occurs.
>
> Does anyone of you had anything similar, any ideas in what and where should I
> focus my investigation on.

We have a similar problem since we upgraded to 3.1.2.0 (AIX 4.2.1)
It happens several times a week (it happened twice last night!)
Sometimes it is still possible to log in to the server, but the
client sessions seem to be 'frozen'. Also the 'query drive' command
doesn't produce any output when the server is in this state.
The only solution is to kill the server (the halt command doesn't halt
the server in this situation and sometimes it isn't possible to log
into the server) and to restart it.

We've reported the problem to IBM, but I haven't heard from them for
more than 2 months. At first they thought the problem was caused by
our administrative schedule that put drives on and off-line
(update drive blahblah online=no)

Alexander Verkooijen     SARA
Alexander Verkooijen     SARA
Systems Programmer       Academic Computing
alexander AT sara DOT nl        Services Amsterdam