ADSM-L

Questions about ADSM with AFS or DCE/DFS

1999-02-17 14:05:24
Subject: Questions about ADSM with AFS or DCE/DFS
From: Scott Emmons <scotte AT CENTER.USCS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 11:05:24 -0800
I'm looking for anyone who has had experience using ADSM with either AFS or
DCE/DFS, especially under AIX. We are planning on starting to use either AFS
or DCE/DFS in the next couple of months, but I want to really understand how
they interact with ADSM to make sure we pick the right one.

The environment is exclusively AIX and RS/6000.

According to the Transarc SE we spoke with, only DFS is directly supported
by ADSM; so backing up AFS can only be done at the volume level. One of our
requirements is that ADSM support the filesystem in a native manner so that
we can do individual file restores and filesystem backups just like we do
with JFS.

Also, does HSM work with either AFS or DFS? We were planning on rolling HSM
out to a few filesystems, but if it doesn't work under AFS or DFS then we
don't want to do use it.

Lastly, I would just be interested in experiences people have had using ADSM
in either an AFS or DCE/DFS environment, and with AFS or DCE/DFS just in
general.

Thanks in advance,
-Scott
    L. Scott Emmons    | CableData R&D Center - El Dorado Hills, CA, USA
    (916) 939-6088     |  Views and content are my own, not CableData's