ADSM-L

Moving dbvol again

1999-02-17 06:31:00
Subject: Moving dbvol again
From: Tom Grovassbakk <tom.roger.grovassbakk AT OSLO.PGS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 12:31:00 +0100
  Hi again !

  I've tried to update the dsmserv.dsk file, but the server still
  complains.
  A  'strings' search through the data base files does reveal that both
  the dbvol files and the log file do contain absolute path references to
  where the dbvol and log files used to reside (the old path).

  It looks like I need to issue commands to the server so that it updates
  the path information within the dbvol and log files. Hence, I guess the
  procedure of creating new dbvol files and deleting the old ones is what
  is needed, and that just updating the dsmserv.dsk file is not enough
  (which
  it ought to be ??)

  Thanks for all your help and input.

  Tom Roger

  I get these messages from the server.

  ANR7800I DSMSERV generated at 20:54:15 on Jan 26 1998.

  ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager for AIX-RS/6000
  Version 3, Release 1, Level 0.2

  Licensed Materials - Property of IBM

  5765-C43 (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1990, 1997. All rights reserved.
  U.S. Government Users Restricted Rights - Use, duplication or disclosure
  restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corporation.

  * SPECIAL FIX TEST SERVER (IX74458)           *
  * LEVEL 1 PLUS CORRECTED RECLAMATION FUNCTION *
  ANR0900I Processing options file dsmserv.opt.
  ANR0990I ADSM server restart-recovery in progress.
  ANR7807W Unable to get information for file /prog/adsmdb2/db1m.dsm.
  Explanation (fstat error): Error 0
  ANR7807W Unable to get information for file /data16/adsmdb1/db1.dsm.
  Explanation (fstat error): Error 0
  ANR7807W Unable to get information for file /data16/adsmdb1/log1.dsm.
  Explanation (fstat error): Error 0
  ANR0259E Unable to read complete restart/checkpoint information from any
  database or recovery log volume.

Are you sure about being able to move the volumes?  I used to think so
until I tried it on an NT server, moving a volume from the D: to E: drive
and changing the path in the dsmserv.dsk file.  When the server started up,
it complained about the moved one being missing.  I presume the 1 MB at the
head of every volume includes info like the path of other volumes.  In
fact, if I recall correctly, we move all the volumes, and it managed to
open at least one and read enough info from it to realise that all the
others were not where they "should" be.

I haven't tried it on AIX.  I would be interested to hear from someone who
actually did it and had it work.  Actually, I suppose it wouldn't take too
much time to test it on a test server, now wouldn't it?

Cheers...
Bruce

--
Bruce Elrick, Ph.D.