ADSM-L

Re: SUN OS vs. Solaris

1973-09-08 04:49:17
Subject: Re: SUN OS vs. Solaris
From: Pat Wilson <paw AT NORTHSTAR.DARTMOUTH DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:08:17 +22300819
My, my.  No - actually, all Unix is different... (0.5 :->)

"SunOS" generally refers to  a BSD-derived (call it "old style")
OS - Sun no longer produces it as such.  Their new (since 1992?)
offering is "Solaris", which is a SysV (ATT)-based, POSIX
compliant OS.  *Quite* different from SunOS (technically, SunOS v4
and older; "Solaris" supposedly is the OS (SunOS v5+) + the window
system, but that distinction is mainly for pedants).

The latest is Solaris 7 (the version immediately  before that was
2.6 - Sun got jealous of M$'s Win2000, I guess).  The last real
SunOS was 4.1.3, IIRC.

So - what's your *real* question?  There are lots of differences
between SunOS and Solaris.

Pat Wilson
paw AT dartmouth DOT edu