ADSM-L

Re: DB backup -- a single point of failure??

1999-02-12 15:52:01
Subject: Re: DB backup -- a single point of failure??
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:52:01 -0600
     AHHHHHHH BUT !

     (I'm planning but have not looked deeply into it yet)

     What if you have a device class with a device type of "FILE"... then
     you backup your DB to a local file, then if you have multiple adsm
     servers... back that file up to another adsm server into a management
     class that has a backup storage pool... then you would have 3 copies
     of the thing (one on local disk, two on another adsm server that could
     be restored to a server of your choice, within the standard limits)

     OOOPssss not to dual servers yet I see... and it wouldn't work to make
     a backup of the adsm db backup on that adsm server 'cause you would
     need it up and running to get it back (whew, that's a mouthfull)

     BUT you could "ftp" that file to another server somewhere else (say
     the server you would rebuild adsm on in the event of a disaster...

     ALSO you could perform  back to back full DB backups and you would
     have "good enough to recover from" dual copies of the data base
     backup.

     Personally I've just been caching in all my chips with GOD so none of
     our adsm servers goes down hard ;-)

     3+ years, 15 ADSM servers, inbound traffic 1+ TB nightly, server crash
     that has lost the ADSM data base NONE!

     Now that I've said that probably half of them will belly up tonight,
     Thanks a bunch !

     later,
           Dwight
                  ;-)

     don't worry... da da... da da  be happy !
     (ie I don't think it is worth the worry you are putting into it...
     just MHO)