ADSM-L

Re: Old filespaces don't expire

1999-02-12 04:44:57
Subject: Re: Old filespaces don't expire
From: Roger Hohmann <Roger_Hohmann AT WESTLB DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 10:44:57 +0100
What we may need is a server command which marks all files of a defined
filespace or node inactive so the expiration process can start on this
data.

When one (like me) deals with data with high retention periods, mixed
with others in filespaces, one has problems to delete 'expired' data:
We moved a node from one Server to another because of network
performance. We didn't export/import the data because the export
feature can't realize exporting of TB in one day. So the old data lies
dead on the previously used server. Some of the data has expiration
periods of yrs, some of days. So I have to keep all active data until
the yrs are over (I really can't delete the data on the node to get it
all expired!). I can't delete the filespace because I must keep a
handfull of files for years. If I could inactivate the filespaces, all
files are expired with respect to their retention periods.

In the nearer future I have to migrate a whole server to another
platform. I expect to start it from scratch and to export and import
the existing data with another nodename, maybe <hostname>_old, so I
have access to the old data and the former server can be turned off
some weeks later.

If one has a better idea, please tell.

Regards
Roger