ADSM-L

Re: dbbackuptrigger & paging space

1999-02-11 11:23:41
Subject: Re: dbbackuptrigger & paging space
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:23:41 -0500
Server level 3.1.2.0 added a new message to warn that this was happening.
You could use it to trigger some action like increasing the trigger value to
stop
another backup from starting immediately, or start a process to increase the
size of the log, or shut down the server.

When I have seen this problem, it is usually related to a very long running
backup.

The new message is --

ANR4556W Warning: the database backup operation
did not free sufficient recovery log
space to lower utilization below the
database backup trigger. The recovery
log size may need to be increased.
Explanation:  A database backup process
has completed. The server is running in
roll-forward mode and the recovery log
utilization remains above that specified in
the database backup trigger.
System Action:  A database backup
operation will be triggered. Unless this
situation is corrected, database backups
will be triggered rapidly, one after the other.
User Response:  If a database backup
operation does not free up enough
recovery log space to reset utilization
below the database backup trigger, the
recovery log needs to be extended or the
database backup trigger updated to a
higher log full percentage.

--