ADSM-L

BINDing and policy sets questions.

1999-02-10 14:29:44
Subject: BINDing and policy sets questions.
From: "Mark Brown (CC Operations Supervisor)" <CCMB AT MUSICA.MCGILL DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:29:44 EST
Hello,

Ok. I had set up some policy domains and backed up a number of clients
using these policy sets. I then decided I didn't like the names I chose
so I deleted them and made new ones and ran some more backups.

I then decided again that I didn't like those new names either so I
deleted them as well and made new ones.

Now when I ran the backups on each occasion I saw files getting rebound
to the new MGM class. However not ALL the files, in particular INACTIVE
files, did not get rebound to the new MGM class name.

As an example I have on the ADSM server some client files from one
directory that have the new MGM class since they were backed up AFTER
the class and policy set were created. The INACTIVE files are bound to
the DEFAULT MGM which has a lower retention period.

How do I resolve this issue. IF I read the manual right about moving
clients around that the new policy  should have or needs to have a
MGM class with the same old name.

If I can remember the old MGM names AND I add them to the new POLICY
sets can I run a backup to "clean" things up THEN remove the old MGM's
that I didn't like?????

Or is there a good SCENARIO  manual I can find to address this issue.
I have looked around on IBM adsm web page but no luck so far.

Thanks for reading this far,
Mark Brown

Thank You,
  Mark Brown, Operations Supervisor