ADSM-L

Re: Betr.: Re: NT restore performance for small files

1999-02-03 11:11:56
Subject: Re: Betr.: Re: NT restore performance for small files
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:11:56 -0600
     Our record was 260 GB client/user file space on a single 3590 tape!
     (with hardware compression on the tape drive)
     Now that the clients have set "compression on" and "compressalways no"
     we only see 9.8 GB per 3590 tape (but 22 : 9.8GB tapes, client
     compressed is a 1 TB oracle data base).
     Below is our current library(s) tape status report
        (the names have been removed for security, sigh)
     2 environments are set collocate yes
     1 environment is set collocate filespace
     9 are set collocate no
     So as seen below, if collocate yes were set to no we would have an
     extra 350-ish scratch tapes and if the collocate file were set to no
     we would have an extra 500-ish scratch tapes... our collocates are
     costing us around 850 scratch tapes  BUT adsm will still use them in a
     crunch (remember volume selection rules), so waste might have been a
     poor choice of words.
 61 SCRATCH and 299 PRIVATE volumes of which  19 are filling, the rest are full.
  8 SCRATCH and 628 PRIVATE volumes of which  27 are filling, the rest are full.
 39 SCRATCH and 749 PRIVATE volumes of which  27 are filling, the rest are full.
 31 SCRATCH and 312 PRIVATE volumes of which  21 are filling, the rest are full.
 46 SCRATCH and 378 PRIVATE volumes of which 152 are filling, the rest are full.
 81 SCRATCH and 742 PRIVATE volumes of which  32 are filling, the rest are full.
268 SCRATCH and 181 PRIVATE volumes of which  21 are filling, the rest are full.
182 SCRATCH and  75 PRIVATE volumes of which  21 are filling, the rest are full.
 84 SCRATCH and  16 PRIVATE volumes of which  22 are filling, the rest are full.
289 SCRATCH and 605 PRIVATE volumes of which  22 are filling, the rest are full.
 44 SCRATCH and  10 PRIVATE volumes of which  18 are filling, the rest are full.
 26 SCRATCH and 677 PRIVATE volumes of which 523 are filling, the rest are full.
 35 SCRATCH and 512 PRIVATE volumes of which 237 are filling, the rest are full.