ADSM-L

Re: Migrating HSM file system - APAR IC22728

1999-02-03 08:36:46
Subject: Re: Migrating HSM file system - APAR IC22728
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 14:36:46 +0100
I have to correct myself ...

> I am planning to migrate our HSM file system from AIX 4.1 / ADSM =
2.1.0.7
> to AIX 4.3 / ADSM 3.1.0.6. According to the READMEs, all files have
> to be recalled for doing this ...

This is wrong, the procedure described in the README does _not_ involve
recalling all files. (I was mixing it up with an older release, thanks
to Sheelagh who pointed me out.) Sorry for the confusion, I should read
the READMEs more thoroughly.

APAR IC22728 still is a problem, in case something goes wrong and the
file system has to be restored. Fortunately, there seems to be a
circumvention which worked for my test HSM file system: It is the procedure
described in the HSM manual under the topic "Restoring an Entire File
System - Backup Server and Migration Server are Different". This
procedure involves restoring the directory structure (dsmc rest -dirsonly),
restoring the stub files (dsmmigundelete) and restoring the rest
(dsmc rest -replace=no).

--
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfälische Wilhelms-UniversiReinhard
Mersch                        Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität