ADSM-L

Re: Archive vs. Backup

1999-01-29 12:45:30
Subject: Re: Archive vs. Backup
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:45:30 -0500
Every time the {month/quarter/year/decade}-end discussion starts, it reminds
me of an enhancement request I submitted years ago, which IBM took as a
suggestion.  I still think it would solve this problem, if it can be
implemented.  So I will throw it out again and see if it clicks with anyone,
hopefully someone in Tuscon!

I call it point-in-time snapshots.  The idea is that a new command,
snapshot, would record the object-ids of the active set and mark the active
set file version records to exempt them from deletion if and when they are
inactive and enough time has past or enough new versions have arrived. (I
believe that every record in the database has an object-id.  I don't know
this for a fact, but that is how I interpret the vibrations I get when I rub
the black box.)

These snapshot records would themselves go into a storagepool and follow
management class rules.  When one expires, the server would open it up and
unmark the versions recorded in it, so that these versions can now expire
(actual I would expect the mark to be a count of how many snapshots a
version is in, and when the count is decremented to 0, the verion can be
expired).

To use a snapshot for restore, you would somehow tell the client to not look
at the real activeset, but instead pretend that the snapshot's list of
object-ids represents the active set.  It could probably drive an export
too.

All this processing is in the server, no extra files are sent by the client,
the server storage doesn't grow except to hold the snapshots themselves and
they are small, and the database doesn't grow much at all.  Also you don't
need new managementclasses and the servers use of
managementclasses isn't altered radically.  Expire inventory needs to do one
more check before deleting a version.

--