ADSM-L

Re: linux client crashes server

1999-01-29 03:40:01
Subject: Re: linux client crashes server
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 21:40:01 +1300
Which version of the Linux kernel?  According to an article on the
mailing list it is LENGTH OF THE KERNEL VERSION STRING that causes
problems.  Not the version itself.  The long version string causes a
buffer overflow in the server.

I had a machine that crashed the server as Linux kernel 2.1.1xx.  The
administrator upgraded to version 2.2.0 and everything is fine.

The work around seems to be to upgrade or recompile your kernel so it
emits a shortened version string.

This has been my experience... I would welcome any comments from
someone who has tried this and it does not work.  If this is not a
bullet proof work around, then I need to go back to worry again :-)

Russell

(an official linux client would be great... even just an unsupported
client recompiled to PTF6 is a great leap forward!)