ADSM-L

Strange behavior from PASSWORDACCESS=GENERATE - Win/NT and Novell clients

1999-01-28 17:08:20
Subject: Strange behavior from PASSWORDACCESS=GENERATE - Win/NT and Novell clients
From: Dennis Haas <dhaas AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:08:20 -0600
Hi all,

We are experiencing a problem with the PASSWORDACCESS=GENERATE and NODENAME
options
on Novell and Win/NT clients.

What we expect to see is that the system prompts for a password the first
time a new node contacts the host.
Then, this password is encrypted and stored on the client, for use on
subsequent sessions initiated from this
node.   According to the ADSM documentation, when the password expires, a
new one is generated, and it is
saved as the encrypted password on the client.  However, the documentation
also states that by including
the NODENAME option, the PASSWORDACCESS=GENERATE option is basically
ignored, and the system
will always prompt for a password.

Our situation is:
Our local Win/NT - Novell guru states that we MUST use the NODENAME
parameter on these clients.
According to him, if he removes the NODENAME option, he gets prompted to
enter the nodename EVERY
time he initiates a session with the server.

If we include the NODENAME option, we see that on the first session, the
system prompts for a password and
all subsequent sessions use this encrypted password until the password
expires.  Once this password expires,
the system prompts for a password on EVERY session initiated thereafter.

Obviously we don't know this password since it was generated by the system.
It appears as though the system is not
generating this password, or for whatever reason, the client is not saving
it.  This happens whether we let the password
expire, or force a password reset.

As you might have guessed, I'm no Win/NT-Novell expert.  I do know that on
all of our UNIX clients (HP, SUN, AIX), we
have no problem with PASSWORDACCESS=GENERATE, and we are not forced to use
the NODENAME option.

Our environment:

ADSM Server 3.1.2.0 - RS/6000 w/ AIX 4.2.1.0

Win/NT client - Win/NT 4.0, ADSM 3.1.0.3
Win/NT dsm.opt:

TAPEPROMPT NO
COMMmethod TCPIP
SLOWINCR NO
LARGECOMMBUFFER NO
COMPression Off
SUBDir ON
QUIET
SCHEDLOGname                C:\WIN32APP\IBM\ADSM\BACLIENT\DSMSCHED.LOG
SCHEDLOGRetention         10
ERRORLOGRetention         10
PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
NODEname XXXXXXXX
TCPServeraddress            ###.###.###.###
LANGUAGE AMENG

Novel client - Netware 4.11, ADSM 3.1.0.3
Novell Netware dsm.opt

  COMMMETHOD                 TCPip
  TCPSERVERADDRESS          ###.###.###.###
  TCPPORT                   1500
  NODENAME                  SLBKUP03
  NWPWFILE                  Y
  PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
  SUBD                      YES
  COMPression               OFF
  DOMain                    ALL-LOCAL
  DOMain                    DIRECTORY
  QUERYSCHedperiod          12
  QUIET
  MEMORYEFFICIENT          YES
  TXNBYTELIMIT                    2000
  TAPEPrompt                          NO
  SCHEDLOGname                 SYS:/ADSM/DSMSCHED.LOG
  ERRORLOGname                 SYS:/ADSM/DSMERROR.LOG
  SCHEDLOGRetention          10
  ERRORLOGRetention         10

Any suggestions or insight is appreciated

Regards,
Dennis Haas
IBM Global Services
St. Louis, Mo