ADSM-L

PTF6 (SGI) and Oracle

1999-01-28 17:02:53
Subject: PTF6 (SGI) and Oracle
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:02:53 -0800
I realize that it's probably a stretch to think that others have
this configuration, but I'll ask the question, and at least warn
others of the problem.

We have begun testing PTF6 of the IRIX (Silicon Graphics) client
and I have run across a disturbing problem. Each time I have
installed the image, I have sucessfully crashed an Oracle
database running on the same machine. According to the very
minimal messages I get from Oracle before it crashes, it appears
to be a shared memory violation, which seems logical because both
ADSM and Oracle make extensive use of Semaphores and other shared
memory structures.

I haven't pinpointed the exact problem, as the behavior on each
machine was not totally consistent. On one node the database
crashed during the installation of the ADSM client, on the other
it was nearly two hours after the installation when the client
crashed.

I would be curious to hear if anybody else has had similar
experiences with PTF6, either on IRIX or any other Unix platform,
such as Solaris, AIX, or HP.

 -- Tom

Thomas A. La Porte
DreamWorks Feature Animation