ADSM-L

Re: Restore Speeds, continued

1999-01-28 14:51:24
Subject: Re: Restore Speeds, continued
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:51:24 -0600
     We've just added some fast ethernet in with our fddi (our servers have
     2 or 3 interfaces)
     I just did an export from one adsm server to a virtual volume on
     another adsm server 'bout 6 miles away via a new fast ethernet link
     and it was the BEST EVER !

     In the past 1.2GB/hr avg. was the best I could get with the export...
     I just had a 3.34GB export finish in 26 minutes, that's about 7GB/hr!

     You should be able to have your backups/restores hit the same.

     260GB  HA!!!
     Try 1 TB  ===-------->>>>>> USE Client compression.
     We archive a 1 TB sap data base in 12-ish hours, it compresses down to
     220-ish GB, a restore off the diskpool runs in less than 24 hours.
     Our diskpool (with cache on) holds one day's worth of sap pr archives.
     They go to tape as soon as we get them but the cached copies stay on
     disk for FAST disaster recovery situations... any restore of data
     older than the current/latest backup ain't for disaster recovery
     reasons and takes a little longer comming from tape.  This too will
     probably be reduced soon based on what I've just seen with the fast
     ethernet export results mentioned above.

     I'll try to find out what parms our unix god tweeked.

     later,
           Dwight