ADSM-L

Re: Authority Questions...

1999-01-28 13:45:15
Subject: Re: Authority Questions...
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:45:15 -0600
At 11:34 AM 1/28/99 -0500, you wrote:

I'm with Wanda on this, and like many others, I delegate some to "Domain
Administrators" who may be located in other buildings.  Since we have
turned off Open Registration, after they install they also register and
schedule their local users.  They get daily notification of their domains
and are responsible for preliminary error tracking.  They handle local
problems and I adjudicate conflicts.

>Well, I'm the ADSM administrator, and I don't have (and don't want!) root
>authority on the NT machines or most of the UNIX machines here!
>I think it depends on your environment.
>
>If there were only a few machines in one central location, and I knew them
>all well, I might feel otherwise.
>But I don't know enough about the machines to understand their applications,
>the best times to back them up, or even which file systems are important.
>And I don't know Solaris or HP or SGI enough to even sign on...
>
>So, I sit down with the UNIX admins and the NT admins and walk through a
>couple of installs with each of them, and teach them how to manage the ADSM
>client.
>
>Then THEY are responsible for keeping the clients running on all their
>machines, because they know the file systems and their data better than I do
>(and some of the machines are in different buildings anyway.....
>
>THEY are responsible for checking their error logs, scheduler logs, etc.
>They let me know if they need help or can't figure out a problem.
>
>I am responsible for warning them via phone or email if I see on the ADSM
>server that their clients have missed/failed a backup.
>
>That creates the best division of labor and responsibility in this
>environment.  Your mileage may vary!

>Wanda Prather
>The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
>443-778-8769
>wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu
>
>"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
>Scott Adams/Dilbert

Fred Johanson
System Administrator, ADSM
S.E.A.