ADSM-L

Multiple node registrations to do monthly ADSM backups

1999-01-28 12:27:23
Subject: Multiple node registrations to do monthly ADSM backups
From: John Dawson <jdawson AT TKG DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:27:23 -0600
Bruce,

Have you actually done this, or is it still just a thought experiment?
I've thought about it before, but have not actually implemented it.
The main thing I'm wondering about is getting the client schedulers
working right.

It looks to me like the best way to do it is this:

1) Run one server-prompted scheduler on the client for nightly
   incrementals

2) Run a cron job (or whatever the OS-specific equivalent is) for
   monthlies where you use a different dsm.opt file, the one with the
   different node name

I don't like having clients be responsible for starting their own
backups, since QUERY EVENT won't know about it; but the only
alternative seems to be running two schedulers.  This seems like it
might be even more of a pain in the neck.  I don't know what might go
wrong in this situation, but I've had enough problems in the past
keeping just *one* scheduler running -- running two seems like inviting
constant breakdown.  (Running one scheduler works just fine, until you
let users and sysadmins onto the machine.  :-)

Any help appreciated!

-John

--
John Dawson <jdawson AT tkg DOT com>