ADSM-L

Re: Incrementals forever presentation

1999-01-28 03:43:33
Subject: Re: Incrementals forever presentation
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:43:33 +0100
Hi,

I usually explain the ADSM backup to be an _image_ of the client's current
data. Incremental backup then means updating that image: if a file is new,
a copy of it has to be put into the image; if a file has changed, it's copy
has to be replaced; and if a file has been deleted, it's copy has to be
removed from the image.

Additionally to that, ADSM keeps the backup copies which have left the
image (the inactive ones) for some time according to management class
settings. It thus is possible to restore to older points in times, if the
backup copies involved are still there. Only at this point, the management
class comes in; as long as a backup copy belongs to the image (i.e. it is
active), it is never deleted.

--
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfälische Wilhelms-UniversiReinhard
Mersch                        Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität