ADSM-L

Novell client poor performance

1999-01-27 11:45:43
Subject: Novell client poor performance
From: John Schneider <jdschn AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:45:43 +0000
Greetings,
    We have a Solaris 2.6 ADSM server running version 3.1.2.0.  We back
up Suns,
HPs, and NT servers across the network to a DLT library, and we get
about 9GB an
hour throughput, which is fine.
    We also are trying to back up several Novell servers (I'm sorry, I
don't know
which version of the client we are running, but I think iit is a fairly
recent one).  The
performance on these is < 1GB/hour.  This is not fine.
    At this rate the Novell servers hog the tape drives so long that
they keep them
busy all night, interfering with other backups.
    I don't think the problem has to do with the speed of the Novell
servers themselves
(even though the ARE low end pentiums) because we have used another
utility to back
these same machines up across the network to another server, and the
performance
is close to 9GB/hour.

We have the following client options:

DIRMC NT-DISK-CLASS
TCPBufsize 32
TCPNodelay yes
TCPWindowsize 64
TXNBytelimit 25600

which is all the basic ones, I guess.  Are there any others that would
help?
I looked at MemoryEfficientBackup, but I don't know if that will help in
our
case.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

John Schneider
jdschn AT ibm DOT net