ADSM-L

Re: How do you view what's on a tape???

1999-01-26 14:16:40
Subject: Re: How do you view what's on a tape???
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:16:40 -0600
     query cont xxxvolserxxx
     ie q cont abc123
     but this list is gen'ed from the data base tables so it probably isn't
     in the order that the files are on the tape... all you would know is
     that file should be found somewhere in the listing.

     You only have 1 tape drive ?

     what you might do (if you have a diskpool) is allocate your 3.8GB of
     filespace you are using to write the file to, to your diskpool and
     just do a
        move data xxxvolserxxx stg=diskpoolblah
     then the data will just migrate back to a scratch or filling tape.

     If you don't have enough diskpool to hold the contents of at least one
     tape... have the bean counters break down and buy some more disks!

     if things totally get nowhere fast... just mark the volume
     "unavailable" and carry on reclamation with the next volser.

     from what you mention below it seems you might have no diskpool and
     only 1 tape drive.  Invest in disks and more tape drives... you'll get
     more sleep that way.

     later,
           Dwight
                 very tired myself