ADSM-L

Strange behaviour of the Solaris client

1999-01-25 06:48:00
Subject: Strange behaviour of the Solaris client
From: Alexander Verkooijen <alexander AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 12:48:00 +0100
Hello,

We have some Solaris 2.6 machines on which we have installed
ADSM 3.1.0.5 clients. The clients connect to the server
(3.1.2.0 on AIX 4.2.1) via an ISDN line.

One or two times a week we see the following situation:

The client is started from cron and connects to the server.

After some time (usually about 10 minutes) the connection is
  severed (at least that is what the server's activity log says)
  No data was backed up.

The ADSM client just sits and waits until the local system
  admin kills it.

I think I understand why the connection between the client and
the server is severed; after a few minutes of inactivity the
ISDN line disconnects itself.
But shouldn't it be re-initialized at the moment the clients starts
sending data to the server?
Is anyone out there using ISDN lines to backup clients?

Regards,

Alexander

Alexander Verkooijen     SARA
Alexander Verkooijen     SARA
Systems Programmer       Academic Computing
alexander AT sara DOT nl        Services Amsterdam