ADSM-L

Re: Backing up a server through a firewall

1999-01-22 16:49:21
Subject: Re: Backing up a server through a firewall
From: "Taylor, Dennis, C. Mr. (GSFC-255.7)" <Dennis.C.Taylor.1 AT GSFC.NASA DOT GOV>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:49:21 -0500
Hello,

We were faced with the firewall problem sometime ago, but at that time
(about 1 year ago) this list generated no solutions.

Finally, about one month ago a solution became absolutely necessary.

The derived environment is such:

Backup client--FW (ports 22 & 80 allowed)--WAN--Linux(VPN+ filtering)--NT
ADSM server

We developed an Open Source VPN solution using a miniHowto...
http://www.linux-hw.com/mirror/LDP/HOWTO/mini/VPN.html#toc1
<http://www.linux-hw.com/mirror/LDP/HOWTO/mini/VPN.html#toc1>
If you haven't been exposed to some of the parts this VPN solution they may
seem a little hard to setup.  But the process works (well) and is free.  We
feel good based upon scans and sniffs that the VPN is fairly secure and
robust--but it has not yet been exhaustively tested.  The redirector code
piece (from the URL above) does not work with Solaris so I developed this
piece myself.
We are successfully using schedmode prompted backups via this VPN
environment.  Again, the VPN is using secure shell (standard port 22), no
other ports need to be open.
If someone has interest in this solution, let me know, and I will share code
and further documentation.
Dennis Taylor
BATCS at NASA/GSFC
*        <mailto:Dennis.C.Taylor.1 AT gsfc.nasa DOT gov>
Dennis.C.Taylor.1 AT gsfc.nasa DOT gov
*       301 286-9329
Mail:   NASA/GSFC
        Bldg. 18, Room 114