ADSM-L

clients V2 -> V3 -> V2

1999-01-20 17:34:07
Subject: clients V2 -> V3 -> V2
From: Tom Tann{s <tom.tannas AT USIT.UIO DOT NO>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 23:34:07 +0100
There is no dought about the following:

  "Data backed up or archived by an ADSM Version 3 client cannot be
   restored or retrieved by a Version 2 client, regardless of the
   ADSM server version."

A was hoping, after discovering the behavior of the OSF/1-V3-client, that
this related to filespaces only.
Obviously, if a filespace has been backed up, complete or partial, by the
V3-client, the format has changed.
But the other filespaces, and the client itself should not be affected
according to the warning...?

After reinstalling V2 on the client, renaming the V3-backed-up filespace,
and issuing a new incremental on the filesystem, strange things
happen...
What I discovered, was that all filesizes were calculated wrong somewhere,
got larger than the maxsize of the target storagepool, and the files were
put where they belong according to this..
After renaming/re-registering this test-client, things work as they
should...

Is this how we should read the warning in README, or is this just another
bug/feature of the osf/1-client?

                                     Tom