ADSM-L

Re: tape end-of-volume, backup failing

1999-01-20 13:45:43
Subject: Re: tape end-of-volume, backup failing
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:45:43 -0500
> We're running ADSM 3.1 on AIX 4.2, on an RS/6000 connected to 3 3570/B02's.
>  We've had several backups fail recently with the same symptoms -- a tape
> end-of-volume is sensed more than once, then a failed transaction is
> interpreted as an "internal server error", then the backup is terminated.
> I guess there are really two questions here: 1) why is the end-of-volume
> having problems, and 2) why would that cause the backup to terminate (yes,
> there is more room in the storage pool...).  Has anyone seen this?

Yes, and it is fixed in later releases of the server.  Basically, you have
a file that does not fit on the remainder of that tape, and the tape is
not being marked full, and a new tape selected.  Once the tape fills from
migration, and a new tape selected, the problem will stop.

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,