ADSM-L

Re: Webshell Client

1999-01-20 12:15:35
Subject: Re: Webshell Client
From: "Lori C. Simcox" <simcox AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:15:35 -0700
Robert and Martijn had the following questions:

>In my client options file however, I defined PASSWORDAccess Generate, so I
>never know the node password. Does this mean the webshell client is
useless to me?

You need to have passwordaccess=generate in your options file to use the
Web Client.
With EM servers, you can define administrator userids that have access to
clients.  Passwordaccess=generate in the client options file is not a
problem on an EM-server
because Web Client login is via the administrator userid, not the client
node userid.
Because pre-EM servers do not support giving access to clients via
administrative
userids, login via the Web Client must use the client node userid and
password.

If you don't know the password because you've been using
passwordaccess=generate,
you'll have to get your administrator to reset the password to login to the
Web Client
the first time.  With passwordaccess=generate, your password will be
regenerated when
it expires.  You can periodically change your node password via the Web
Client (or the
regular client) before it expires so that you'll always know what it is.

We did realize the inconvenience of having to do this password resetting
for pre-EM
servers, but we wanted the Web Client to be available for all V3 servers,
not just
EM servers.  If you reset the node password periodically, you will be able
to use the
Web Client just fine.

>I'm wondering what the differences between non-EM and EM versions
>of the server are, (apart from price?)

Check out the ADSM Web site
http://www.storage.ibm.com/software/adsm/ads0fam.htm
for more information.  Towards the bottom of the page is a link to
Enterprise
Management for additional information on this feature.

>By the way, has anyone tried using the PTF6 WebCLI with the HotJava v1.1.5
>browser. I did and I got a few redraw problems, so I went back
>to Netscape. :-)

Yes, there are some differences (most notably the appearance of the
windows)
in the Web Client when used with the HotJava 1.1.5 browser due to
differences in
implementation of the JVM among browsers.  We recommend using Netscape
Navigator or
Internet Explorer instead.

Lori Simcox
ADSM Client Development