ADSM-L

Re: Delete volume - input requested

1999-01-18 21:16:13
Subject: Re: Delete volume - input requested
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 19:16:13 -0700
David...

I think a lot of ADSM users (administrators) do not have a full grasp
(unfortunately) of the difference between volumes, libvols, and volhist entries
like dbb and exports.  Given that, I could see alot of them not realizing that
said tapes would not be used at all by ADSM until they changed the libv back to
scratch or defined them into a stgpool themselves.  Thus they might 'lose'
tapes.

I've written scripts to reconcile:
  3494 category for private (accessed using mtlib)
   <=>
  ADSM's libv's in private status (accessed with q libv or select)
    <=>
  the union of (stgpool vols of the right devclasses) and (volhist entries of
type=dbb)
    (could also add volhist entries of type export, but we don't use that)

as well as reconcile:
  3494 category for scratch
    <=>
  ADSM's libv's in scratch status

and find that inconsistancies crop up.

That being said, I agree that consistancy would require that the libv be left
as private.  I would want, however, some way to reconcile things that is not
hand-coded or as fallible as the current scheme of 'last use' which itself can
get out of date.

Cheers...
Bruce
--