ADSM-L

NT Service Pack 4 and ADSM

1999-01-17 21:36:48
Subject: NT Service Pack 4 and ADSM
From: Carl Makin <carl AT XENA.AIPO.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 13:36:48 +1100
Our NT guys just installed Service Pack 4 on a machine.

They backed up a server using ADSM under SP3, built a new machine and
installed SP4 and restored all the data.

All the files came back but many of the security permissions were screwed.

Server 3.1.2.0 on Aix 4.2.1, Win client 3.1.0.5.

The NT admin who came to me about it showed me a note from
"SoftwarePursuits" about their "SureSync" product.  The note stated that
there was a problem with SP4 in that;

"The GetNamedSecurityInfo" API under SP4 seems to return values from NT4.0
SP3 systems that, if written with SetNamedSecurityInfo or SetFileSecurity
calls will possibly corrupt permissions for folders.  The problem is
visible as blank checkboxes for permissions when viewed with the SP4
Security Configuration Editor (MSSCE) program.

This problem does not occur with SP3.  It also does not occur if
GetFileSecurity is used instead of GetNamedSecurityInfo.  Systems upgraded
to SP4 will exhibit this problem for many folders created before the
service pack was installed.

(The above 2 paragraphs are extracted directly from the SoftwarePursuits
note.)

Has anyone else noticed this?  Is this problem also effecting ADSM? Is it
fixed in a later version of the client?

Carl.